LawGuru Menu
  • Home Page
  • Legal Research
  • Multiple Search Tool
  • Questions & Answers
  • Internet Law Library
  • Legal Employment Ads
  • Free Mailing List Tool
  • Affiliate Program
  • Free Web Pages
  • Free LawGuru E-Mail
  • LawGuru Chat
  • Find Attorneys
  • Unclaimed Property
  • Legal News
  • Find Forms
  • Daily Legal News
  • Article Library
  • Legal Plans New

  • .
    Pre-written Frequently Asked Questions Pages and other useful legal information.

  • FAQ Section Main
  • Auto Accidents
  • Accidents at Work
  • Bankruptcy Law
  • Copyright Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Disability Discrimination
  • Family and Divorce Law
  • Family Medical Leave Act
  • General Civil Litigation
  • Investment Law New
  • Labor & Employment Law
  • Other Discrimination
  • Patent Law
  • Probate & Wills
  • Before you Rent
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims Court
  • Social Security Law
  • Trade Secrets
  • Trademarks
  • Veterans Disability Law
  • Should I get a lawyer?

  • Expand your law practice

    Should I get an attorney?

    Since many people ask us "Should I handle my own injury case or should I consult an attorney?" we have prepared the following observations to assist you in your decision:

    If you've been hurt because of someone else's fault you may deserve to be compensated. Your medical bills should be paid. You should also receive reasonable compensation for your pain, suffering, inconvenience, loss of income, and for any damage to your property. If you have been injured at work, regardless of anyone's fault, you may also deserve compensation.

    Our compensation system is an adversary system. The insurance company will use a skilled, trained insurance adjuster whose job is to pay you the least for your injuries. Your job (or your attorney's) is to get you the most compensation. When both sides do their best, justice wins and you will be compensated adequately.

    It is always best to promptly contact a lawyer to learn of the rules and procedures of injury cases. At some point early in your case, the insurance company in both auto accidents and on-the-job injury claims may request you to go to a doctor of their choosing to be examined. After the evaluation by the insurance company physician, the insurance company may order you to stop medical care and eventually decline to pay your medical bills. The insurance adjuster may also contact you frequently to try to negotiate an early settlement. Adjusters are highly competent in negotiating settlements on behalf of the insurance company. If you decide to consult with an attorney, talk to one who is familiar with injury claims rather then one who rarely handles such cases.

    The insurance adjuster works for the benefit of the insurance company and is not impartial. You should protect your own interests. Be particularly careful not to sign just anything. Read any document that you are asked to sign very carefully. Perhaps, consult with an attorney. Do not give a tape recorded statement before you contact a competent attorney and are at least advised of your rights. There are times when you need to give a statement to an insurance company (especially your own) and times when you don't have to. By contacting or hiring an attorney, you would not necessarily be filing a suit against anyone. However, you will be advised of your rights in personal injury, negligence, job injury and many other types of cases. If you mishandle your own case due to lack of knowledge or lack of skill, it is likely that a competent lawyer will not be able to undo the mistakes that you have made and may not be able to accept your case at that time. The time to at least be informed of your status is in the very beginning. An attorney will not discourage you from seeing any doctor you determine is the best for your best recovery. Many times, an attorney can even assist you in finding a doctor that will treat you for your injuries and be willing to wait until the settlement of your case to be paid for the medical bills.

    If you decide to hire an attorney, most attorneys work on a contingent fee basis and will receive a percentage of the final settlement. If the attorney collects nothing, you don't have to pay anything.

    Still can't find your answer? You can search more questions and answers on our -BBSor you can submit a question to us by clicking here or the Ask A Question button at the bottom of the screen!

    If your case deals with personal injury (automobile accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, slip and falls, dog bites, medical or legal malpractice) or workers' compensation cases (accidents at work) and deals with California law, you can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week just by calling 1-800-LAW-TALK, from anywhere in the United States, for a free consultation. You can also reach us from outside of the United States by calling 323-934-9899. Please submit all other types of questions through the BBS.

    Please remember that no information found at this site, in the database or in the responses from attorneys on the BBS can replace a face to face meeting or telephone consultation with a "real live" attorney about your particular case, problem or question. The information you find here or in the answers should just be a starting point in finding your answers.

    Find More LawGuru Q&As
    Find more Questions and Answers in our giant database of past BBS questions and answers or ask your own question.

    Popular Forms: Wills, Deeds, Divorce, Name Change, Promissory Notes, Power of Attorney, Pre-Marital, Oil Gas Law, Employment, Incorporation, LLC Formation, Heirship, Closing Contract, Contract for Deed, more...

    E-mail & Contact Us
    Copyright 1997-2001 ESLAMBOLY & BARLAVI
    This page was designed and programmed by Bahman Eslamboly
    Disclaimers & Terms of Use
    Revision date: Mon Feb 26 18:00:00 CDT 2001