Illinois  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I let a co-worker use my driveway, on my lot that had an abandon trailer on it, so he would not loose his job for sleeping in his car on work property.

While I was at work each day he was moving in the abandon trailer no power or no water. He finally got the electric turned on, but no water.

Now, since I could not get him out of there over the past year, the law says he is a squatter and I have to serve him an eviction notice. I told the Deputy that came to my house after a dispute with him to get him to leave, but was told he could not do that. We never had a rental agreement. He got the keys off the Kitchen counter. He then offered to clean the place up if he could stay there till he found a place of his own, so I agreeded to that, but I never agreeded to him taking over the trailer rent free.

The squatter is now going to the police and telling them that the trailer needs condemned.

My question is, can I take the squatter to Small Claims Court for rent lost on the land, since the law says he has the right to stay there after a year, and can I charge him the normal rent that is charged in our area? Can the village have the trailer condemned? My son wants to fix it up for his family to live in, which is very doable.

Thank You