I need to know if i'm being extorted.
My ex refuses to pay child support and is $6000 in arrears. i owe her mother money from a loan her grandfather gave me 11 years ago. her mother is saying if i don't tell the court my ex has paid me, she will seek legal action against me for the money i owe her grandfather's estate. does this meet the legal definition of extortion?
1. The ex lives in another state with her mother. She doesn't work and doesn't pay support. I have custody.
2. Her mother is the executor of her grandfather's estate.
3. The ex was arrested recently for failure to pay support.
4. A certified letter was sent to me immediately after the arrest by her mother demanding the debt be paid by virtue of me telling the court that my ex has paid her arrears.
5. The loan was made to me by the grandfather. The mother is the executor. The ex is her daughter. I don't owe my ex any money.