Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Fathers rights .... I took an ex to court several years ago to determine if the child she had was mine . We were ordered to take dna test . Due to bad advise and poor judgement on my part i never showed. Though defendent denied me as the father . I need to know .... and am not sure where to start.

Asked on 3/21/12, 12:32 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You had your chance. You may have blown it. Depends on what the courts ordered the last time. You usually only get one bite of the apple, and you chose to spit it out. Bad choice.

Read more
Answered on 3/21/12, 12:57 pm
Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In one of the few times I've disagreed with Mr. Shimberg, I think you can still file an action to determine parentage and I believe that you can do so until 2 years after the child's 18th birthday. The worst that will happen is that the court will deny you any relief which is the same position that you are in now. OTOH if the court has at anytime ordered you to pay child support, you have already been declared to be the father of this child and you will not be able to vacate that order due to your lack of diligence. Like he said it all depends on what the court order was the last time.

Read more
Answered on 3/21/12, 1:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now