Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My husband passed away and left some Home Depot Non-Quailified stock options. I am trying to have them transfered into my name before they expire on 4/28/2012. Merrill Lynch requests a Certified Order of Distribution, and I don't know what that means. Aslo my husband left a will that states if he dies, the stocks are to be liquidated and distributed between his son, and myself,his wife. My husband's son died quite a few years ago and the will was not updated. To my knowlage, I was his only living relative at time of death. What is it I need to do, or send to Merrill Lynch to have this taken care of? Time is running out.

Thank You,

Sandra L. Case

Asked on 3/08/12, 5:53 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to probate his estate and FAST. The order of distribution will come from the probate.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/12, 6:54 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You are seriously running out of time. You need to open a probate case and lodge his will with the court. A certified order of distribution is a court certified copy of the judge's order that tells who gets what after a will has been probated.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/12, 8:27 am
Gary R. White Burton & White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to consult with an attorney who can help you decide what needs to be done and can speak with Merrill Lynch. Do not delay any further.

Read more
Answered on 3/09/12, 10:41 am
Rosemary Meagher-Leonard Law Office of Rosemary Meagher-Leonard
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will have to begin the Probate process immediately. The Order for Distribution is part of the Probate process but, as the name implies, is usually done at the end of Probate. Please do not delay. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have. You can email me at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/09/12, 1:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now