Legal Question in Tax Law in New Jersey

I inherited my Dad's home in NJ in 1991. My stepmother had a life estate. When she moved to a nursing home in 2011, she deeded the property to me, and I sold the property. I am a permanent resident of Virginia. NJ withheld $3500 at closing because I am a non resident. How do I get this money back?

Asked on 5/03/12, 10:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There has to be a NJ Income Tax Return filed, reporting the sale, as it is considered NJ source income. The payment you made at the time of sale will be considered a tax deposit, and the tax based upon the profit you realized (basis vs sales price). You may be entitled to a refund if the estimated tax was over-estimated, or still owe something if the deposit was understated. I can assit you and contact me directly if you need assistance.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/12, 12:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now