Legal Question in Insurance Law in Wisconsin

Are insurance companies required to pay general contractor overhead and profit charges in Wisconsin?

Jay K. Nixon NIXON LAW OFFICES

This is an extremely open ended question; I cannot tell if you are asking what insurers might be orderred to pay as reimbursement to an injured third party presenting a claim against them; pay on behalf of a homeowner insured who has suffered storm or fire damage, or pay for a contractor working on the insurance company's building. Generally speaking, unless an insurer enters into a voluntary contract with a contractor or settlement agreement with an injured party, they are not required by law to pay anything to anybody. Exceptions to this rule occur after a lawsuit, when the court might order payment of certain amounts. If you are speaking of some sort of restitution or reimbursement for repairs which approximates replacement cost of the property in question which needs to be restored, such a cost item which a court might include in estimating damages would usually anticipate that all contractors who would perform such work would need to make a profit in order to stay in business. Please be aware that my responses to you in the public web forum do not make me your attorney and that I am not representing you or taking any action on your case. Instead, these answers are intended for public educational use only and may also contain lawyer advertising materials. Regardless of this, however, you are still welcome to contact me during business hours at my in Racine if you still have questions, or see me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com. For a list of my other answers on Law Guru, please see my profile link here at lawguru.com.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Wisconsin

Insurance Law Legal Forms