Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

I sought mortgage modification, the law firm gently suggested to hold my mortgage payments until the modifciation was approved. It was not approved. Now the mortgage company wants all the payments in full or foreclosure. With fees they tacked on, I do not have all the money. If I had an additional 30 days, I could pay them off. They are not willing to make arrangements. What is my recourse.

Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

Two things are not clear to me: First, whether the law firm you refer to was hired by you to assist you with the modification, or if they represented the lender. Second, whether this law firm suggested that you keep the payments you were obligated to make, or if they offered to hold onto them for you. Without knowing more about the situation, it is difficult to give you an answer. Personally, I would never recommend that my clients not pay their mortgage payments, except in very limited and specific situations.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois