India  |  Banking Law

My father expired in July 2012. He had taken loans against property on Kisan Credit Card from HDFC bank and State bank of Patiala.

Recently, I came to know that under hindu Act 2005, son is not liable to pay the debts of father. So my question is that

1) Are we (Legal Heirs) liable to pay the debts?

2) We paid some amount of the loan to avoid interest on the principal. Can we recover the amount from the banks that we have paid till now?

Answered on: 5/01/13, 9:52 am by J. Radhakrishnan

You are liable to pay your father's debt to the extent of property devolved on you on the death of your father.

independent Practice Priya Mahaall, New 27, Old 12/3, Deivasigamani Street Chennai, NUS 600014

Answered on: 5/08/13, 11:10 pm by Jayesh Desai

You are liable to pay your father's debt, only to the extent of the estate you inherited from your father, and not beyond that. If you did not inherit anything from your father, you are not liable to pay anything.

Jayesh Desai 609 Dalamal Towers Free Press Journal Marg Nariman point Mumbai, 400021