Legal Question in Banking Law in India

I had a HDFC credit card made in 5-6 years back. I had used the card to make a purchase of 4500/- INR . Next month I got the statement and payed minimum amount due. Then no statement receieved for next 7-8 months and I did not pay anything. Then I received statement on my request and wanted to pay the amount but the due amount mentioned was somewhere 12000/- INR and I did not pay anything. Since then I receive call from bank or recovery agents may be in months or half yearly but I didn't pay. Now today a policeman came to my house showing a non-bailable warrant and saying case has been filed in Bangalore court. I asked for copy of warrant but he denied and asked me to call on advocate's num ber which was men tion ed on the warrant.

Is it all genuine ?? I called up that advocate and he said that he will tell bank's manager to call you and you can settle or otherwise you will be dragged to court.

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajesh Kumar, New Delhi

Asked on 10/26/13, 3:29 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Dear Rajesh,

If the Policeman came with the notice, he ought to have handed over a copy of the notice to you. Nevertheless, to put an end to all this nuisance, you should negotiate, pay and settle your card dues and close the matter.


Read more
Answered on 10/26/13, 3:36 am
Rajiv Chandhok Ph: +919810050896
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you don't pay your name will be listed in the CIBIL defaulter list and thereafter you will never get a loan. Hence negotiate and settle and sleep in peace. You may drop in a detailed query at [email protected]

To know us better, please click on the links below:


Read more
Answered on 10/26/13, 4:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in India

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Banking Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now