Legal Question in Consumer Law in India

in India Maharashtra, can registered housing society open bank account as 'Saving' account type?

In my opinion they should only open the 'Current' account as saving belongs to individuals and not to any profile/non-profit entity.

Please help me to understand.

Asked on 7/08/13, 12:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Dear Sir / Madam,

Yes, prior to the promulgation of the Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Act, 1960 and the Maharashtra Co-operative Societies Rules, 1961 a Co-operative Society was required to open an A/c with a scheduled co-operative bank only.

In 2009, the Ministry of Housing, Government of Maharashtra released an Order signed by Dr. B T Badhan on 25.04.2011 permitting Co-operative Housing Societies who are registered with the Federation in Maharashtra, to open and operate a Saving A/c in the Society's name.

Hence, like individuals can open a savings and / or a current A/c, since funds in the Saving A/c earn interest as opposed to no interest given by the bank in a Current A/c; opening a Saving A/c will be the ideal preferred choice of the Managing Committee of the Society.


Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 11:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in India

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Consumer Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now