Legal Question in Real Estate Law in India

Dear Sir,

A person had given me a cheque for 20 lakhs on 30/5 which is due to expire on 30/8. In the meanwhile he deposited 10 lakhs in my account.He still has to pay me 10 lakks remaining.He is not responding to my calls or messages.Can I deposit the 20 lakhs cheque or proceed legally

Asked on 8/06/13, 10:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rajiv Chandhok Ph: +919810050896
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

yes you may deposit the cheque as you have a legally recoveable debt within the meaning of chapter 17 of the Negotiable Instruments Act. To know us better, please click on the links below:


Read more
8/06/13, 11:12 pm
Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Dear Sir / Madam,

Already answered ... repeated again for clarity purposes only.

You have two options :

a) to immediately deposit the cheque of Rs. 20 lakhs into your A/c, wait for it to realize, and then issue a cheque of Rs. 10 lakhs to the opposite party or;

b) return the cheque of Rs. 20 lakhs to the opposite party and since the opposite party has already paid you Rs. 10 lakhs, take a cheque of Rs. 10 lakhs from the opposite party and immediately deposit it into your account and close the matter.


Read more
8/06/13, 11:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in India

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

8661 active attorneys ready to answer your legal qustions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessHuntington Beach, CA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now