India  |  Real Estate Law

Hello,

My Grandfather died 14 years ago. Soon after, his property (self- earned) was divided equally amongst his sons and daughter. This was carried out with everybody's consent,including my Grandmother's. However now, after 14 years, my Grandmother want a share in the property co-owned by my father and uncle (ancestral property). However, the will states that, my grandmother has the right to live in the house (co-owned by my Father an uncle). It does not state her to be an owner of the property. Will this clause in the will be a problem if my father decides to sell the house? Can my grandmother claim 1/3rd right over the property?

Answered on: 8/29/13, 6:38 am by Jayesh Desai

She cannot claim 1/3 share, but she object to sale, as long as she wants to live there.

Jayesh Desai 609 Dalamal Towers Free Press Journal Marg Nariman point Mumbai, 400021