India  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/26/13, 11:59 am


My Grandfather died 14 years ago. Soon after, his property (self- earned) was divided equally amongst his sons and daughter. This was carried out with everybody's consent,including my Grandmother's. However now, after 14 years, my Grandmother want a share in the property co-owned by my father and uncle (ancestral property). However, the will states that, my grandmother has the right to live in the house (co-owned by my Father an uncle). It does not state her to be an owner of the property. Will this clause in the will be a problem if my father decides to sell the house? Can my grandmother claim 1/3rd right over the property?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/29/13, 6:38 am by Jayesh Desai

She cannot claim 1/3 share, but she object to sale, as long as she wants to live there.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Jayesh Desai 609 Dalamal Towers Free Press Journal Marg Nariman point Mumbai, 400021

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search