Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

i live in alabama and my spouse lives in tennessee and she left me without telling me and i have not talked to her in 3 years can i get remarried even though we are not divorced

Asked on 9/15/11, 10:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Pfeifer Pfeifer LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. If you marry someone else while still married to your wife, the new marriage would be void (meaning invalid, or legally nonexistent) and you would be guilty of the criminal offense of bigamy. Rather than create those problems for yourself, just go get a lawyer to draw up a divorce for you. Don't let this situation drag on for years.

Read more
Answered on 9/15/11, 12:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now