Legal Question in Criminal Law in Alabama

I was letting my dog use the bathroom in the front of my yard. Two officers insisted I was to be questioned. I put my dog back inside and told them I agreed in shock. Both officers said that my home was filled with marijuana and would like to see it. I was frozen outside in shorts 20 degrees, quick bathroom break became an interrogation. Began to ask my name to call in a 10-29. I was still in shock, and he asked to search me so I insisted he could because I had nothing on me but my cellphone and a house charger. Lastly he said when I see him again we will be doing some talking. What laws protect me for this type of case? Thank you for your time.

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.

First of all, just learn to say NO. Without a search warrant or an arrest....no search of your home. As far as searching you, unless they have probable cause to suspect a crime is being committed or they are making a lawful arrest, say NO. Just learn to say NO. Now for the future, should they come again, unless they have a search warrant... no search of you, the house, your car or your property. Do not answer any questions or anything.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Alabama