Alabama  |  Family Law

What are my chances of getting primary full custody of my two children if not at least primary joint custody? I have joint custody with visitation currently, we have been divorced for just about a year and my ex wife was just admitted into rehab detox for zanex abuse and alcoholism. I am 31 years old with a really good job and never have missed a child support check. She is unemployed and still a stay at home mother and I have seen neglect in my children in the last year. I kne w she had all thess problems while we were going through the divorce but couldn't prove it. This past weekend her step father called me at told me they had to admit her into rehab and he even said she was unfit at this time to mother the children. I want to protect them and myself from her and I want to know the way and chances to get my kids in my custody and getting more time with them. Any advice will be helpful. I know that my kids will be in danger in something doesn't change. Thanks, Ryan

Answered on: 5/28/13, 8:59 am by Mari Morrison

You have very good chances of getting custody. You should file an emergency motion for custody at this time as she is in the hospital and rehab. You should file for her to have supervised visitation until she has completed a program of rehabilitation. You would be wise to use an attorney and not attempt to do this on your own as there are standards and burdens of proof that must be met. If wish, please feel free to visit my web site and contact me by telephone or email.

Mari Morrison, P.C. P.O. Box 36783 Birmingham, AL 35236-6783