Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama


how do i respond to a petition to modify custody in alabama?

Asked on 10/08/08, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: help

This is the classic attorney answer --- it depends! First of all I would say it really does depend on what custody modification is requesting. If it is a complete change of custody, then I would say there are pitfalls that await you and you definitely need a lawyer to preserve your rights and custody. There is an Alabama standard called the McLendon Standard which must be met in order for a change of custody to occur after a previous order has been entered. This standard requires a burden of proof for the petitioner to meet that is very high..and further that any disruptive effect on the child will be more than offset by a change of custody.

Read more
Answered on 10/08/08, 2:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now