Legal Question in Social Security Law in Alabama

SSI backpay Social Security law

I was told I would be getting ny SSI backpay soon. The Social Security Administration wrote me in March and I have not received any yet. I have only gotten 1 check for April and no backpay yet. Why?

Jon Lewis Lewis, Feldman, & Lehane, LLC

Re: SSI backpay Social Security law

In order to compute back benefits for SSI, the Social Security Administration must verify income and resources for each and every month of disability during the period in which back benefits are due. This process can take some time and it is not at all unusual to begin receiving current benefits before receiving back benefits.

If SSA has already given you a dollar amount of the back pay you will receive, then you should follow up with a phone call to your local Social Security field office if you have not received said benefits within 6 weeks from the date of the letter stating the amount to be paid.

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Alabama