Legal Question in Criminal Law in Arizona

Amount of Time they have to file formal charges

I was arrested for Possession of Dangerous Drugs for Sale on Jan 10, 2003. I was released on my Own Recognance. No formal charges were filed. Then on May 23, 2003, again I was arrested for Possession of Dangerous Drugs for Sale. My bond was set at $5,000. and bonded out within 48 hours. Again I have been informed that no formal charges have been filed. As I understand that my bond will automatically be dismissed. Just how long do they legally have to file formal charges against someone? The prosecutor says that I must continually inform there office of my location of residence, but fail to reveal just how long I am obligated to do this?

Jason Lamm Lamm & Associates

Re: Amount of Time they have to file formal charges

Arizona law allows 7 years in which a felony must be filed. Keeping the state apprised of your address is wise, so that if you move they can simply send a summons. If the summons cannot be delivered, it will change to a warrant and your next speeding ticket will turn into a big mess. I have handled numerous drug cases throughout Arizona. Give me a call if you need assistance.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Arizona

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA