Arizona  |  Investment Law

Philanthropic Trust

I have a guy trying to ''give'' me 50 million dollars through a philanthropic trust. I'm not a charity or a non-profit. Threre is a 10% letter of credit to back my downpayment involved and a $7,500 consulting fee. They say the trust is ''invitation only'' and I must act now to take advantage. They also state that $50 million is the minimum and I don't have to pay it back. Sound like a scam. Has anyone every heard of such? I don't know the details of the trust because they won't tell me. If it's real, I will need an attorney. Unfortunately, I think someone is just out to raid my cookie jar.

Answered on: 10/26/07, 3:06 pm by H.M. Torrey

Re: Philanthropic Trust

Your instincts here are probably exactly right. We do not have enough information, but from what you have stated thus far, sounds like a typical "nigerian internet scam". Definitely be careful or retain counsel to better look into the matter for you, if you feel there may be some legitimacy.

The Law Offices of H.M. Torrey 800 West El Camino Real, Suite 180 Mountain View, CA 94040