Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Arizona

Bank safe deposit boxes

Father died years ago. Mother died recently. I'm only child. Mom's will leaves everything to me (not much). I'm not on the bank list for access to Mom's safe deposit box. She was the only one. Any way I can get access to the box to see what papers are in there ?

Tks, Gary

Asked on 8/22/06, 1:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Bank safe deposit boxes

If Mom's Will appoints you as the Executor or Personal Representative of the Estate, you should take the Will with you to the bank and ask them to open the box so that you can take an inventory and determine if a probate is required. If the estate has less than $50,000 in assets, you can file an affidavit with the probate court and get court approval to distribute the assets to the heirs according to the Will, and then you can have what is in the safe deposit box.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/06, 10:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Arizona

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now