Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Arizona

Change title to house after death of father

My father died a couple of years ago leaving his estate, which consisted almost entirely of his residence, to his wife, (my stepmother). The house was held in joint tenancy. Is there some action she should take to put the house in her name only? Should she remove my fathers name from other joint accounts, such as credit cards, bank checking accounts, etc or is it OK to leave his name on the accounts even though he is dead?

Asked on 6/08/08, 7:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Jenkins Jenkins Law Center PLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Change title to house after death of father

Recording a death certificate makes the death of record, and for good measure I record an Affidavit of Survivorship. Accounts should be updatated, but that depends upon her circumstances.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/08, 12:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Arizona

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now