Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Arkansas

Religious Rights

I am employed at a restaurant. I informed them upon employment that I will not work Sundays due to my religios practice. The restaurant has stated that all employees must work on Mother's Day but that day falls on Sunday. I have protested saying that it is against what I believe to work on a Sunday but they have stated that I must work or forfeit my job. What can I do legally? Aren't I protected by law to practice my faith and beliefs?

Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC

Re: Religious Rights

There is an exception in the anti-discrimination law if your not working would create an undue hardship on the employer. Otherwise, the employer is not permitted to discriminate based on religious practices as a general rule.

Harvey Harris Harris Law Firm

Re: Religious Rights

A company cannot discriminate against an employee based on religion. If they made a verbal or written promise to you not to require you to work on Sundays, they need to stick to that. They may be just trying to get you to allow them to make you work on Sundays. There is an exception for extreme hardship for the employer, but it is a limited exception. I would need more information to see whether it appllies to you.

I hope that you are able to stand by your convictions, if that is what you believe is right. I can't promise you they can't request you to work on Sunday but I would be glad to talk to you about this further if you have any more questions. I appreciate your stance on Sunday work.

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Arkansas

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms