Legal Question in DUI Law in Arkansas

I received a DWI 5 months ago and next month would be the end of my six month suspension. I have not yet been to trial because I got a continuance in order to get a lawyer but I have not been able to afford one, but I have a trial date set 5 days before it would be the end of my 6 month suspension. Could I go in front of the judge and just get a fine instead of him/her suspending me again for another 6 months, and getting my license back?

Brandon Moffitt Moffitt & Phillips, PLLC

The judge cannot suspend your license for DWI. By statute it is delegated to Arkansas Driver Control. If you plead guilty, you will only be responsible for any jail time, fines, community services, etc. assessed by the court. If it is a DWI 1st offense, you will likely get a fine and usually any jail time is suspended.

After your 6 months is up, you should be able to get your license as long as your have completed your alcohol class and pay your reinstatement fee.... regardless of whether you have been to court or not.

Good luck.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Arkansas