Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

This is a civil matter question. My cousin was 16 years old when she got into a car accedent and was injured. Her mother and her put in writing that if i did all the researching and called lawyers and made appointment for lawyers to come talk about a settlement. If the settlement was more then $5500 she woud give me $1000 for my childrens school clothes. since she was a minor at the time can i sue her in court now that she is 18 years old?

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

A contract with a minor is not enforceable in most situations. In addition, you could be opening up the fact that you were practicing law without a license (i.e. "i did all the researching.") I seriously doubt that a judge would rule in your favor.

Your cousin's mother was not a minor, unless her mother was less than two years old when she had your cousin. (Doubtful.)

You may have a problem with the work you did, in referring attorneys and not being an approved attorney referral service by the State Bar. You also do not state whether the contingency occurred, for example, whether the settlement was more than $5,500.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms