Legal Question in Family Law in California

I met a girl who I ended up sleeping with one time. She told me yesterday that she is pregnant and is thinking about keeping it. First, I donít believe that she is pregnant since it was protected. Second, if she is, I am not sure if it is mine. Finally, if it is mine, I am pretty sure she just wants to have it because I am super successful and wants a free handout for the rest of her life in child support. Is there anything I can do here to prevent her from taking all my money?

She has no money, and I don't believe she is a US citizen, but what does she have at her disposal to help her in this situation? Would it cost her alot of money?

I plan on fighting this to the end but I donít know how to start or where it will ultimately take me. I obviously want her to get an abortion, but after that I would want to not pay any child support. Any advice is appreciated.

Asked on 8/12/12, 1:09 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You are entitled to have a paternity test taken after the child is born, to establish wheterr or not you are the biological lfather. Do not sign a Declaration of Paternity in the hospital if you intend to first find out if you really are the father by taking a paternity test.

Good luck to you.

Brian Levy, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/12, 1:33 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I'd suggest speaking to a competent family law attorney about bringing a petition to determine paternity before you sign anything or start taking care of a child that is not yours.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/12, 10:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now