Legal Question in Family Law in California

I met a girl who I ended up sleeping with one time. She told me yesterday that she is pregnant and is thinking about keeping it. First, I donít believe that she is pregnant since it was protected. Second, if she is, I am not sure if it is mine. Finally, if it is mine, I am pretty sure she just wants to have it because I am super successful and wants a free handout for the rest of her life in child support. Is there anything I can do here to prevent her from taking all my money?

She has no money, and I don't believe she is a US citizen, but what does she have at her disposal to help her in this situation? Would it cost her alot of money?

I plan on fighting this to the end but I donít know how to start or where it will ultimately take me. I obviously want her to get an abortion, but after that I would want to not pay any child support. Any advice is appreciated.

Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy

You are entitled to have a paternity test taken after the child is born, to establish wheterr or not you are the biological lfather. Do not sign a Declaration of Paternity in the hospital if you intend to first find out if you really are the father by taking a paternity test.

Good luck to you.

Brian Levy, Esq.

www.calattorney.com

I'd suggest speaking to a competent family law attorney about bringing a petition to determine paternity before you sign anything or start taking care of a child that is not yours.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California