California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

A prospective tenant has a pit bull terrier. My rental insurance does not cover that breed. The tenant says he has renters insurance that covers his pit bull. Am I still liable for the dog?

Answered on: 12/20/11, 12:44 pm by Timothy McCormick

You may very well be. The tenant is directly liable and would be liable to indemnify you, but what if they let their insurance lapse? You can always be sued for the conduct of your tenants subject to the right to sue your tenant, but if your tenant loses their insurance, you're stuck.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Answered on: 12/20/11, 4:29 pm by Bryan Becker

You may be if you have knowledge/notice of the dog's dangerous propensity either prior to or after leasing the property to this renter. Tread carefully here; our office has brought cases in the past against landlords when they ignore this responsibility and someone is injured as a result.

Becker Attorneys 1205 Prospect Street, Suite 400 La Jolla, CA 92037