California  |  Appeals and Writs

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/15/13, 4:54 am

In a dependency proceeding which is quasi criminal in nature,

(1) Can I apply the U.S. Constitution Article 3 Section 2 to file a petition for writ of Habeas Corpus in CA State Supreme Court in case that the case involves parties in a foreign country and in a different state if the trial was held in CA?

U.S. Constitution Article 3 Section 2 - Original Jurisdiction, Jury Trials

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and THOSE IN WHICH A STATE SHALL BE PARTY, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction.

(2) If not, should I file the petition with the U.S. Supreme Court instead of U.S. district court? The defendant is not an U.S. citizen who can apply for CALIFORNIA PENAL CODE 1016.5.

(3) Can the CA Supreme court hold a jury trial too? Does "those in which a state shall be party" include foreigners who are not citizens of the state where the trial was held in?

Thank you so much.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search