California  |  Bankruptcy

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/26/08, 8:17 pm

Filing from CA prison

Can my husband file chapter 7 bankrptcy while in prison/ He has 175k in debts. we own a hose together with my brother-could they take the house to help pay the debts? Could they come after me? I only have SSD income.

1 Answer

Answered on: 1/27/08, 5:24 pm by Allen Farshi

Re: Filing from CA prison

Yes they can come after you. California is a community property state, the good news however is if the house was always in your and your brother's names creditors can only go after your share. If you can prove you lived there long enough you'r equity is exempt as your homestead in bankruptcy law. I suggest you immediately file homestead if you have not already.

Good luck

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Allen Farshi 15260 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1740 Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search