California  |  Business Law

A company that we have done business with in the past filed bankruptcy. We recently received a letter from a law firm representing that company telling us that we were recipients of recoverable funds and if we donít pay it back they will sue us for the amount, which is over $7,000. We are a small company and cannot afford that. In fact, our financial situation is so bad, that $7,000 could potentially put us under.

Of equal concern is, because we have no money to get advice from an attorney, that our company has called their attorney and solicited advice as to what we need to do to avoid being sued. Of course we were told that we had to pay it back, or offer some kind of a settlement. Itís my understanding that we are going offer something as a settlement and send them a settlement agreement drafted by us.

I donít think itís in our best interest to follow the advice of an attorney that represents the company that is trying to get money from us! Do we really have to pay back these ďrecoverable funds?Ē What would we be advised to do by an attorney that doesnít work for the company that is suing us?