California  |  Business Law

ONce I have a completed UCC1, where do I send it for a California corporation & resident?

Answered on: 2/10/10, 4:21 pm by Timothy McCormick

UCC1's are filed with the Secretary of State.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Answered on: 2/10/10, 9:22 pm by Bryan Whipple

UCC-1 forms are filed with the Califonia Secretary of State when the debtor giving the security interest that is being reported by a UCC-1 is a California individual, corporation, etc.

Remember that a UCC-1 is only a way to perfect (publicize, place on the record) a security interest that already exists. All too often, creditors think that a UCC-1 creates a security interest. Not so! It is merely a way of telling anyone with a need to know that a security interest already exists in favor of a certain creditor, against a certain debtor, and in certain collateral.

Don't file a UCC-1 unless you have other documents, signed by or for the debtor, giving you the pledge of certain assets as collateral.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318