Legal Question in Business Law in California

contingency agreement

I had a contingency fee agreement with my attorney. He lost the case but sent me a bill for $1000 which was the cost of postage & scanning documents into his computer. Am I responsible to pay this even though he lost the case.

Scott Linden Scott H. Linden, Esq.

Re: contingency agreement

Read your agreement with your attorney, it should provide you with the answer for this.

My assumption is...most likely you do.

If you would like to discuss this matter further in a more private forum, please feel free to contact me directly at the email address provided by LawGuru or through our firmís website located at PasadenaEstatePlanning.com

IMPORTANT:

No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. You may not rely in any way on this communication, and nothing herein constitutes legal advice nor legal opinion. Your issue may be time-sensitive and may result in a loss of rights if you do not obtain an attorney immediately.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: contingency agreement

Read your Retainer Agreement; probably so. It is common to have the client responsible for costs, win, lose or draw.

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

Re: contingency agreement

Under state law, lawyers must submit fee disputes to arbitration if the client so desires. You may want to contact the bar association of the county in question regarding attorney-client fee arbitration procedures.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Re: contingency agreement

That depends upon what your contract says.

Jonas Grant Law Office of Jonas M. Grant, A.P.C.

Re: contingency agreement

The client generally pays for costs and only the legal work is free in a contingency case, but this isn't always true - it depends on what the agreement between you and the attorney says (which you should have read and s/he should have made sure you understood, before the case got underway).

More Business Law questions and answers in California

Business Law Legal Forms