California  |  Business Law

Definition of ''normal business hours'' in a residential lease agreement

As a landlord for a residential property my month-to-month rental agreement states that I may have access to property to show it to prospective new tenants during normal business hours provided that I give the current tenant 24 hour advance notice.

Two local attorneys, both specializing in representing landlords, have given me two very different answers.

The first said that since we are involved in a ''retail'' type of transaction, that a court would likely consider ''normal business hours'' 9:00am to 5:00pm,(possibly 6:00pm) Monday through Saturday and possibly include Sunday.

The second opinion while very specific seems to escape logic. He said, ''Monday through Friday from sunrise to sunset''. This answer, while very explicit, would allow me access as early as 5:30am to 9:00pm in the Summer and even on the shortest day of the year as early as 7:30am.

I would appreciate it if you could shed some light on these two very different answers.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.