California  |  Business Law

Is my employer allowed to send something to our customers and sign my name at the bottom without my knowledge? I just received a customer perk pack from my work and the letter they sent with it to our customers is apparently from me. I had no knowledge of this and am a little disturbed by it.

Answered on: 7/05/13, 3:05 pm by Bryan Whipple

No one is allowed to sign someone else's name to a document unless the person signing is an agent for the person whose name is signed. The right to sign as someone's agent can arise in several ways, however. Many years ago, when I worked for a large corporation, all intra-office correspondence from our department to other departments went out over the department manager's signature, and several assistant managers were authorized to sign his name. I'm not saying the concept works in reverse, where the boss signs for the underling, or whether it's appropriate on external correspondence -- but it might be. I'd have to know more about the specific situation and the terms of your employment agreement, and possibly other matters, to be able to advise you for sure whether this was inappropriate or not. probably, but not necessarily.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318

Answered on: 7/05/13, 7:23 pm by Anthony Roach

I agree with Mr. Whipple. I write separately to state that this sounds very bizarre.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311