California  |  Business Law

If I gave money to an attorney and there is still money left am I entitled to a refund of the balance?

Answered on: 9/13/13, 4:56 pm by Anthony Roach

I guess. It would help if you had more detail. A true retainer is nonrefundable, but what attorneys call a true retainer is not. An advance fee payment for costs must be placed in trust, but I personally put advances for fees and costs in trust. If there is a balance after work is done, that money should be returned to the client, unless it was a true retainer.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311

Answered on: 9/13/13, 5:34 pm by Timothy McCormick

I agree. True retainers are seriously disfavored. It is virtually certain that even if your agreement with the lawyer says it is nonrefundable the State Bar will say it is unless earned.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Answered on: 9/15/13, 10:16 pm by John Laurie

i would think so but need to see the agreement and billing to know for sure

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356

Answered on: 9/17/13, 12:36 pm by Keith E. Cooper

Under California law, if you paid an advance deposit for legal services, and the work was completed (or abandoned) before the full amount of the deposit was used up, the attorney must return the balance. This also applies where you dismiss an attorney. The attorney's failure to do so can result in disciplinary action by the state bar. If you want further information about this, contact the State Bar of California.

Keith E. Cooper, Esq. 8721 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite 706 West Hollywood, CA 90069