California  |  Business Law

I was recently terminated from a real estate broker position. The owner terminated me when I have four closed escrows yet to be paid totaling almost $100,000. I have two other escrows currently at the appraisal stage that he said “we intend to pay you, and please make sure you do the correct closing paperwork.” However, I have been locked out of my email and do not have the passwords to the system so I don’t know how to complete everything. He sent me an email confirming our conversation of the severance of the relationship and I am not sure how to respond. Do I demand the amount that is owed? Need I say anything regarding the two current escrows? I also had proposals out for a number of large listings, are those now gone? Any advice is appreciated.

Answered on: 6/11/13, 11:05 pm by John Laurie

You need to take all the paperwork and the e mails etc, to an attorney who can read them and give you advice. Hard to tell you what to do based upon your description. I would call the local bar association for a referral.

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356

Answered on: 6/11/13, 11:45 pm by Charles Perry

I agree that you need to consult with a lawyer.

I hesitate to provide specific advice here, because (a) I likely need more facts before I do so; (b) I might be creating an attorney-client relationship; and (c) anything I say here would not be confidential.

Law Offices of Charles R. Perry 1500 Bayberry Street Hollister, 95023

Answered on: 6/12/13, 10:44 am by William Christian

You need to review carefully your engagement agreement with this firm. Are you engaged as a broker or as a salesperson? A good agreement willl have specified how termination works and what your rights are. Then talk with an attorney. There are to many variables to advise you with the limited information provided.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Rodi Pollock 444 S Flower St Los Angeles, CA 90071

Answered on: 6/22/13, 10:31 am by Anthony Roach

The key to helping you is understanding your employment relationship with the person that fired you. You say you were terminated from a broker position, but that triggers issues of whether you were a broker or only an agent, and if you were a broker, was this a partnership or some other legal entity.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311