Legal Question in Business Law in California

I am a sales person. I had been instructed by my manager (by email) to inform my clients regarding a certain company (our competitor) who claims their product is assembled locally, is in fact fully imported. This is to disqualify that product to be given priority due to the claim (that it is assembled locally).

I had send out emails to my clients quoting my manager's email by mentioning a certain officer in the ministry has confirmed with the competitor company that the product is not locally assembled.

I am not certain whether the statement is true or not. Should the statement is not true, will I face any charges from the officer in the ministry or the competitor company? Or should I not be worried because I am simply doing my job and my action was under my superior's instruction.

I am merely an employee and not having any ownership in the company and my company is a small corparation.

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

If you publish [email a message] that some company thinks is slander or interference with their business, of course they CAN sue you. Anybody can sue anybody for anything. Winning is a different issue. The truth will ultimately win out. You should have, and now should, talk to management about this and your concerns.

If you get sued, or threatened, the company should protect you. If they don't and you actually need to hire your own attorney, feel free to contact me.

More Business Law questions and answers in California

Business Law Legal Forms