California  |  Business Law

I am a sales person. I had been instructed by my manager (by email) to inform my clients regarding a certain company (our competitor) who claims their product is assembled locally, is in fact fully imported. This is to disqualify that product to be given priority due to the claim (that it is assembled locally).

I had send out emails to my clients quoting my manager's email by mentioning a certain officer in the ministry has confirmed with the competitor company that the product is not locally assembled.

I am not certain whether the statement is true or not. Should the statement is not true, will I face any charges from the officer in the ministry or the competitor company? Or the charges will be pressed against my company only? What kind of charges will be pressed? Does 'respondeat superior' in effect?

I am merely an employee and not having any ownership in the company and my company is a small corparation.