Legal Question in Business Law in California

As secretary/treasurer of a small landowners' association I collected yearly dues until a new officer was elected. At that time I handed over all duties and monies to the new secretary. But...at the election of new officers I was told to continue to act as treasurer until the past year's dues were fully collected. I did not do this as I thought it was improper to handle monies since I was no longer an officer. What is the correct legal procedure in this situation and did I do the right thing?

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law

I'd start out by examining the organization's bylaws to see what they say about officers' duties and election of new officers. It seems more likely than not that you lose the trappings of office including the privileges and duties in connection therewith upon either (a) the election of new officers, (b) confirmation of the election results, or (c) a date certain following the election, similar to how presidents and senators are inaugurated on a pre-set date following election day. It seems a trifle odd to me that an elected officer would be asked to clean up responsibilities from a prior term.

More Business Law questions and answers in California

Business Law Legal Forms