Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in California

under what circumstances would you file your lawsuit in a federal court instead of a state court?

Asked on 5/13/13, 4:41 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joel Selik
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There are many possibilities. For example, if you are a company from out of state and worry you might be treated fairly in State Court. Or, if you want to have a unanimous verdict. There are many possibilities.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 4:49 pm
Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The question of which court to file suit would take many pages to answer. Some types of case must be filed in federal court. Many others give you a choice. Still others must be filed in state court, because the federal court simply does not hear those types of cases

In general, if you have no question of federal law in your case, and you and the defendant live in the same state, you are going to be in state court. This is the majority of situations where people sue.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 10:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now