California  |  Consumer Law

I cancelled in writing on my bill (red ink) my service from Terminix. I included my check for services rendered to date and stated that as of this point I am cancelling their services. I signed and dated it (3/14/13). Last Friday (6/14/13) they delivered service and billed me. I called to dispute and they said that all cancellations must be verbal, therefore I didn't cancel. Further, they said that a machine is at the billing address so no one could have forwarded the cancellation to the proper people. I was not informed of that or of their "verbal only" procedures. Am I wrong? How should I communicate with them, if I am correct, to make this stop? Thank you!

Answered on: 6/18/13, 1:52 pm by John Laurie

Did you sign a contract wit them to start service. If so does it say how to cancel. Do you have a copy of the cancellation that you sent. I think if you call their corporate office and explain the situation to them the mater will be resolved.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356

Answered on: 6/18/13, 7:04 pm by Kelvin Green

Look at your contract or get them to send a copy. I would be surprised if it really had a verbal only clause but take a look...you may need to follow up in writing to their offices. If you need help contact me,.. You don't want them to start collections or other proceedings because you did not pay....

The Law Office of Kelvin Green . California Bar #286285, CA ..

Answered on: 6/20/13, 9:07 am by Armen Tashjian

What they told you is counter intuitive. I agree with the above advise that you should review your contact and see if the mode of cancelation is addressed.

Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian 6311 Wilshire Blvd., Second Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048