California  |  Consumer Law

I went to have my car washed at one of those places where you pay to have the following car wash services :

vacuums

car wash and hand drys,

cleans all windows

tire dressing

interior

When the employee signaled that he was done, and I went to retrieve my car I noticed that my back window was broken.

I was told that yes it broke because my car is old. It is a 1995 BMW convertible and there was nothing wrong with the window prior.

The company refused to do anything about the situation. What can I do?

Answered on: 6/08/13, 2:06 pm by Roy Kohler

Take them to small claims court after getting a WRITTEN quote from a BMW dealer.

Allege they were negligent and that you had had your car washed innumerable times at different car washes without damage to your car.

Mention the words "res Ipsa loquitor" to the small claims judge. It means that it speaks for itself. I did not see the car washes negligence but the negligence must have been there or the window would have remained undamaged.

Law Offices of Roy Kohler 7676 Hazard Center Drive, Suite 500 San Diego, CA 92108

Answered on: 6/08/13, 3:15 pm by John Laurie

You can take them to small claims court. You can also call your insurance company and they may cover it.

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356