Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Motor vehicle trade-in

I traded a leased vehicle into a car dealership for a new one. Three payments were remaining on the lease. I told the dealership that I wanted to trade-in and lease another vehicle with no out-of-pocket expense. The dealership agreed to take the lease trade-in and they would pay-off the remaing three payments. I drove off with a new lease vehicle and paid the first months lease payment. I recently received a letter from the prior leasing company requesting me to pay for damages to the lease turn in. I told them the vehicle was traded in at the dealership and the dealership assumed the remainder payments and vehicle. I told the dealership, at the time of the trade-in, that the vehicle had a small dent in the bumper. I also told them that I would lease a new vehicle as long as I did not have to pay any additional fees on the prior lease.

Lowell Houghton Law Offices of Hagop Chopurian

Re: Motor vehicle trade-in

If you did not get a transfer of liablity for any vehicle damage in writing, I doubt that you have a leg to stand on.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms