Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

i would like to purchase a 4x4 for my son or rather he would like to purchase it with his own money. he is under 18 but if i cosign non the contract with him can it be purchased under his ss#.

Steven Simons Law Office of Steven A. Simons

Anytime you co-sign for someone you run the risk of them defaulting and then you become liable for the debt. That said - we all tend to try and help our children by co-signing for them.

Most dealerships will rely on both your credit (i.e. based upon SS#) and your son's. Thus, the debt will show on both your credit reports. Many dealer's will list your son second, or not at all, so that you are the primary borrower. My advice if you proceed, read all of the paperwork carefully and keep a copy for yourself. You would be surprised at the number of co-signors that have come to me and say tha they let their son/daughter/mother/ brother/friend retain all of the paperwork. It makes the case harder to defend.

Good luck.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms