Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Purchased of a used car from private owner

I purchased a 1994 Ford Taraus for 1,350.00 from a private owner. After 4 days of having this car, it broke down. Its engine problems possible a new motor. I called the previous owner and told him about the car. He made a statement that he was not responsible for that. I realize that buying a used car is considered as a as is purchase. But doesn't the previous owner have some liablity in this. I am not sure the previous owner knew of this car's problem or not. Should he return my money or get it repaired. He did bring a mechanic over to look at the car, but he has not said anything about paying for the repairs. What can I do? Thank you

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Re: Purchased of a used car from private owner

I am going to venture a guess and say that you are 18 years old, since most people older than that have their used cars inspected by a mecanic and carfaxed before they buy.

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

My friend, Mr. Stone, has a way of making a person feel so small. Nevertheless, under California law, it's "let the buyer beware." Most people should (I don't say would because many don't) have their own mechanic inspect the vehicle and run a Carfax.com search to check out its history. You might have to bite the bullet on repairing the engine. Have a mechanic check out everything else before you invest any more money, though.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms