Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

rental car broke down - who is liable? Part II

I recently rented a car and even though they told me I could not take the car to Vegas I did and sure enough the car broke down and the head gasket is blown. Now the rental car company is telling me I have to pay for the repairs, however I did not sign a statement saying that I would not take the car out of L.A. Also, my mechanic said the car would've broke down regardless of where I would have taken it. Now they said they are suing me, because I damaged the car by not pulling over and filling in the correct fluids. I did pull over right away though. Who is liable?

Lowell Houghton Law Offices of Hagop Chopurian

Re: rental car broke down - who is liable? Part II

If you took reasonable steps to deal with the overheating when it occurred I do not think that you are liable. But it would require expert opinions of your and their mechanic. They may have a case if the mechanical damage is of the sort that would not of occurred if you had pulled off the road right away after the car overheated.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms