California  |  Consumer Law

I went to use the rest room in Walmart and I slipped on a toilet paper cover, and they said its not there fault my knee and leg are bruised up from the fall. Is this true it's not their fault?

Answered on: 9/12/13, 2:35 pm by Carl Starrett

Finding fault and find if damages are warranted is what judges and juries do. Their liability can depend on many factors. How long had it been since they cleaned the bathroom? How long had the toilet paper cover been there? How did it get there? You have to prove that their negligence caused your accident.

And from a practical standpoint, how much is the case really worth? Bruises really aren't worth a lot of money in terms of pain and suffering. You might have some small medical bills and a day off from work, but I don't see how that case could be worth much.

Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II 1941-C Friendship Drive El Cajon, CA 92020-1144