Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Can an American get away with overseas debt?

Let say an American has a few personal loan/credit cards debt from the oversea local banks and wish to leave the overseas country for good and go back to the US. What are the options of the overseas banks could do to collect their money back?

Asked on 6/06/13, 4:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The overseas creditor will have to weigh whether it's worth pursuing. It could get a judgment in the foreign country, open a case in the US and seek to enforce that judgment, along with accrued interest. One solution might be to arrange a payment plan before things escalate.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 11:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now