California  |  Credit and Debt Law

I had my check book stolen from out of my town home and did not realize it was missing until I checked my bank statements online. The check was written for four hundred dollars which is a lot for me being that I have a part time job and have to pay off student loans and a credit card from college so what I do make is going towards that. So I call the ban and the first person told me that they will have there manager call me back so I waited for hours the I call and the next person i talked to said that there is no need for a manager to call me and that the other person didn't fill my claim. This person filled it for me and sent me the paper work and I went into the bank and they faxed it over to the fraud department. About one month later after sending the bank my police report and all the information I had they denied my claim. They said my checks were not kept in a safe place even though they were kept in my house in my room. Is there anyway I can get my money back?

Answered on: 8/21/13, 11:28 am by Carl Starrett

I'll answer this question the same way i did the first time you posted it: you need to sue them. You have the right to sue the bank and it sounds like you have a pretty good case, but that's the only way to force them to pay. You can resolve a $400 dispute in small claims court without having to hire an attorney. Banks are easy to collect from.

Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II 1941-C Friendship Drive El Cajon, CA 92020-1144