Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

can A credit card collection agency put a freeze or garnish my bank account if my only deposit is old age social security benifits?

Asked on 11/30/11, 6:35 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Harutiun Kassakhian The Kassakhian Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A credit card company cannot garnish or freeze your separate bank account unless they have obtained an attachment or a judgment against you. The credit card company needs to sue you first. The credit card company must file a civil complaint in California Superior Court and must also properly serve you with the civil complaint and summons. If your credit card comapny has sued you, you should consult with a experienced consumer rights'/bankruptcy attorney about all of your options. You must respond to civil complaints within 30 calendar days.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 3:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now